Did you Know? Food poisoning is different from poisonous food

By Obalakun Ayomide

image

Newhealthadvisor

Did you ever think that food poisoning and poisonous foods are the same, then check this out:

Food poisoning is an illness caused by eating contaminated food. It’s not usually serious and most people get better within a few days without treatment.

In most cases of food poisoning, the food is contaminated by bacteria, such as salmonella or Escherichia coli (E. coli), or a virus such as the norovirus .

Signs and symptoms

The symptoms of food poisoning usually begin within one or two days of eating contaminated food, although they may start at any point between a few hours and several weeks later.

The main symptoms include:
feeling sick (nausea)
vomiting
diarrhoea , which may contain blood or mucus
stomach cramps and abdominal (tummy) pain, lack of energy and weakness, loss of appetite, high temperature (fever) aching muscles,
chills…

Causes include

* Not cooking food thoroughly (particularly meat)

* Not correctly storing food that needs to be chilled at below 5C

* Leaving cooked food for too long at warm temperatures

* Not sufficiently heating previously cooked food

* Someone who is ill or who has dirty hands touching the food

* Eating food that has passed its ‘best before’ date

* The spread of bacteria between contaminated foods (cross-contamination)

In most cases, these symptoms will pass in a few days and you will make a full recovery.

However poisonous foods are foods we actually eat that are poisonous and they don’t just have symptoms that go in a few days, sometimes they affect the body over time e.g

Rhubarb leaves, which contain oxalic acid, which causes kidney stones.

Potatoes
Glycoalkaloids, also found in nightshade, can be found in the leaves, stems, and sprouts of potatoes so avoid potatoes with a greenish tinge.

Almonds
There are two types, sweet almonds and bitter almonds. The bitter ones are said to contain relatively large amounts of hydrogen cyanide. Eating just 7 – 10 raw bitter almonds can cause problems for adults, and could be fatal for children.

Raw honey
Because it doesn’t go through the pasteurization process in which harmful toxins are killed, unpasteurized honey can lead to dizziness, weakness, excessive sweating, nausea, and vomiting that last for 24 hours.

These among others are foods that could be dangerous when we don’t use them properly

Let us therefore be careful what we eat and how we eat it.

Edited by
Bewaji Emmanuel

CoNnect our writers today!
connectmediafirm@gmail.com
Or text
+234 8130962580
…all you have to do is attach the name of the writer you wish to CoNnect to the mail/text sent.

  “…Writing a new history

  

©2016
CoNnect Media House

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s